The University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee School of Education is the state’s premier school for the research and practice of urban education.

Here, we prepare our students to be leaders in their profession—as teachers, counselors, administrators, or leader-educators in social service agencies, business, and government. UWM School of Education graduates work in dozens of education-related careers.

Our mission is to prepare our students to meet the unique social and economic challenges facing today’s urban, suburban and rural schools. We combine theory and practice—providing students with extensive opportunities for hands-on, practical experiences before they graduate—led by a diverse faculty recognized internationally for scholarship, leadership, and research.

About our Programs

The School of Education offers an array of Bachelor of Science (BS) Programs, five Master's Degree Programs, and Wisconsin's only PhD in Urban Education. We also offer undergraduate and graduate certificates to enhance professional development. Certificates consist of focused coursework designed to provide targeted academic preparation. 

Continuing Education for Teachers

Teachers who need to earn credits to renew a teaching license to meet local school system or state Department of Public Instruction requirements should contact the Office of Student Services at (414) 229-4271 for information and admission.


Adult, Continuing, and Higher Education

American Sign Language

Cognitive and Developmental Sciences

Community Engagement and Education


Early Childhood Education

Educational Administration

Educational Statistics and Measurement

Elementary Education

English Education


Mathematics Education

Reading Education

School Psychology

Science Education

Social Studies Education

Second Language Education

Special Education

Urban Education

Undergraduate Advising

Our purpose is to provide collaborative, mentoring relationships which promote educational, career, and professional development. We value a student-centered, holistic, and ethical approach to advising based on strong partnerships with students, faculty and staff, and the larger campus community. We are committed to creating a respectful and supportive environment. We encourage students to be self-reliant through informed decisions and choices based upon dissemination of accurate information. We value our own continuous professional development to enhance the quality of the advising experience.

How to Prepare for an Advising Meeting

  • Review your Advisement Report in PAWS.
  • Come prepared with questions or topics for discussion.
  • Make a list of courses you think you should take.
  • Investigate opportunities to prepare for the job you want.
  • Keep a record of your academic progress.
  • Understand you are ultimately responsible for creating your educational, life, and career plans.
  • Maintain honest and open communication with your advisor.
  • Take responsibility for choices you make as a student and member of the UW-Milwaukee community.

Scheduling an Appointment

Office of Student Services
Enderis Hall, Room 209
(414) 229-4721

Graduate Advising

If you are a School of Education graduate student, you may schedule an appointment with your faculty advisor by contacting your faculty advisor directly. Faculty contact information can be found in the Directory. Your faculty advisor will be listed in your PAWS account. 

Graduate Policies and Regulations

The Graduate School policies and regulations can be found at Graduate School Policies. Please refer to the specific program for program policies and regulations.

Undergraduate Policies and Regulations

Academic Regulations

For information on academic actions for unsatisfactory grades, see Academic Policies, University-Wide Academic Action Policy.

Admission to Program (Advance to Major)

Students in most programs must apply for admission to the School of Education. Students who apply to the School of Education must meet the minimum admission requirements of the School and of their program that exist at the time of their admission application.

Application Submission and Review

Application periods for admission vary by program. Contact the Office of Student Services each semester for details.

All applications are reviewed by faculty of the appropriate department. If admission is deferred or denied, the student may consult with the appropriate department chairperson and/or request a hearing under appeals procedures. The School of Education reserves the right to limit admission due to staffing and space limitations. Enrollment as a pre-education student and/or meeting the minimum requirements does not guarantee admission to a professional education major in the School of Education.

A student who transfers from one program to another within the School must re-apply and meet requirements in effect for that program at the time of transfer.

Re-entering Students

Students who do not maintain continuous enrollment/registration at the university should meet with their advisor upon re-entry. It is possible that the program requirements were revised in their absence.

If a student is out for more than one full semester (not including Summer Session), the student must meet the program and graduation requirements in effect at the time of their return. Options will be discussed on a case-by-case basis.

An admitted student who has not been enrolled for two or more semesters may be required to re-apply for admission. Students admitted into the post-baccalaureate program have five years from the semester of admission to complete their program.

Post-Baccalaureate Certification Program

For specific admission and program information, contact the Office of Student Services. Additional criteria may be required for some programs.

Students interested in a post-baccalaureate certification program in Curriculum and Instruction will be denied admission if they have a grade of C- or below in any prior student teaching experience, or if they have been previously counseled out of student teaching and/or have graduated without certification from a teacher education program because of poor performance in student teaching.

Advisement Report

Students who have been admitted to a major will have an Advisement Report indicating course requirements completed as well as those needed. The Advisement Report assists students in planning future semesters, and is one of the documents used in clearing Education students for graduation. Community Engagement and Education students contact the Department of Educational Policy and Community Studies for their summaries and graduation clearance.

Substitution for Requirements

Any variations from the approved curriculum in the student's program must be approved in writing by the student's faculty advisor, department chair, and the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs. This must be done in advance of course selection.

Degree Requirements

  1. Satisfactory completion of a minimum of 120 credits, depending on program and the requirements of the student's curriculum.
  2. Satisfactory completion of the School of Education core curriculum requirements and the University's General Education Requirements. See individual department and program general education core curriculum requirements for the credits required and the distribution.
  3. For professional education certification programs, a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.75 in all professional education coursework. This includes any transfer coursework that is counted towards certification at UWM, as well as any grades earned in student teaching or field experiences. General education coursework and/or electives that do not fulfill requirements towards certification will not be included in the cumulative GPA calculation.
  4. Completion of the last year of work (30 credits) in residence at UW-Milwaukee. Special permission to earn credits on another campus of the UW System, at another institution, or through correspondence work from the UW Extension must be obtained in advance. Students should meet with their academic advisor. Students who transfer to UWM from any accredited institution must take a minimum of 18 hours of graded credits at UWM to establish a GPA for graduation.

Change in Requirements

When a change in program or graduation requirements is adopted, students currently enrolled may complete either the new requirements or those in effect at the time of their admission to the School of Education, but not a combination. Changes in state requirements for teacher certification may lead to changes in requirements in a student's program. Satisfaction of state requirements is necessary for eligibility for teacher certification.

Semester Course Load

An overload for undergraduate and special students in the School of Education is 18 or more credit hours during a regular semester. Students who want to take an overload during a regular semester should contact their academic advisor.

Any student in the School of Education who takes an unapproved overload will not be permitted to count the overload credits toward graduation and/or certification. The particular credits that would not be counted toward graduation will be designated by the student's advisor and approved by the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs.

Field Experience

Students are required to complete a full-day/full-semester student teaching experience during the final year in the teacher education program. However, many programs require more than one semester of student teaching. For information, please call (414) 229-4352.

Employment, Licensing, or Professional Organization Requirements

Applicants to School of Education programs that involve student teaching, practicum, internship, or other field placements must complete an information disclosure statement and be subject to a criminal background check to comply with placement site requirements and state regulations. Criminal background checks are required by state law to help employers and government officials in making employment and licensing decisions. The Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction (DPI) conducts a check as part of licensing. Agencies regulated by the Division of Health and Family Services must have on file a criminal background check for persons who have access to clients within caregiving organizations, including students.

Students in a program with a clinical experience must undergo a criminal background check at the time of admission to the School of Education, or prior to placement in a major clinical experience if that occurs earlier. The student will be charged the cost of the background check administered through School of Education procedures. Students are responsible for obtaining the information necessary for them to become knowledgeable about these requirements and plan their studies accordingly. Contact the Office of Clinical Experiences for further details.

Teacher License Applications

Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction (DPI) License Application Forms and information about applying for a teaching license may be obtained from the Office of Clinical Experiences, Enderis Hall, Room 369, or by calling (414) 229-6033.

A departmental recommendation for certification is required. This recommendation is not automatic upon graduation or completion of a post-baccalaureate certification program. 

The DPI conducts a criminal background check of each applicant for a teaching license. If you have ever lived, worked, or attended school outside of Wisconsin since the age of 18, you are also required to complete fingerprint cards as part of your criminal background check. Based on this information, an applicant may be denied a license even if recommended for certification by the University. 

Special Opportunities

Departmental Examinations

Departments may grant degree credit to a student who, instead of taking a course, requests and passes an examination administered by the department on the content of that course.

Permission to take such examinations must be obtained from the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs, Enderis Hall 583, who will require a recommendation from the department chairperson or program director to whom evidence of work justifying an examination must be presented by the student.

Study Abroad

Qualified students can complete equivalent coursework in another country. For information, consult the Office of Student Services, Enderis Hall 209.


Tina Freiburger
Dean, College of Community Engagement and Professions

Hope Longwell-Grice
Senior Associate Dean, Academic Affairs, School of Education

Jeremy Page
Assistant Dean, Office of Student Services, School of Education