Degree Requirements

Bachelor's Degree Requirements

All bachelor’s degree programs at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee are subject to the following requirements. The catalog text for the program should refer to or contain these requirements, but they still apply even if it does not. Students should consult individual program pages in this catalog for the specific degree requirements associated with each program or major.

  1. Residence Credit Requirement: At minimum, 30 of the 120 credits earned for the bachelor’s degree must be completed “in residence", that is, via credits earned from the institution itself regardless of class modality. Individual programs may impose additional requirements, for example, the last 30 credits must be earned in residence, or some larger number, though not necessarily the last block. 
  2. Credits: Student must complete at least 120 credits. Individual programs may require more.
  3. Minimum GPA: Students must attain at least a 2.000 cumulative GPA. Individual programs may require a higher GPA on all credits, or all credits in the major, or specific courses, etc.
  4. University GERs: Students must satisfy the UWM General Education Requirements.
  5. Other requirements: Students must meet the graduation requirements of their major and school or college.  

Associate Degree Requirements

The requirements for the Associate degree can be found on the Liberal Arts, AAS catalog page. 

Concurrent Degrees

The University offers an Associate of Arts and Sciences degree (AAS) and the following distinct bachelor's degrees:

  • Bachelor of Architecture (BArch)
  • Bachelor of Arts (BA)
  • Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA)
  • Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA)
  • Bachelor of Science (BS)
  • Bachelor of Science in Engineering (BSE)

Earning Two Bachelor’s Degrees Concurrently

Students may earn more than one bachelor’s degree by completing the graduation requirements for both degrees, including a major appropriate to each degree. The two bachelor’s degrees earned must have different degree designations (i.e., BA, BBA, BFA, BS, and BSE). In meeting degree requirements, the student must complete an additional 30 credits in residence for the second degree (for a minimum of 150 credits). The same General Education Requirements may be used to satisfy both degree requirements if appropriate. Schools and colleges may make exceptions to the above policy. The flexible option degree-completion program is not available as a concurrent degree. Students earning more than one credential in the same degree will have multiple majors. They will not earn multiple degrees. Students should consult their school/college for more information on multiple majors in the same degree, including minimum credit requirements. 

Earning A Second Bachelor’s Degree After Graduation

Students who have earned a first bachelor’s degree from UW-Milwaukee may earn a second, distinct bachelor’s degree by completing a minimum of 30 additional undergraduate credits in residence subsequent to the awarding of the first degree and by satisfying all major requirements for the second degree. Students seeking an additional major or minor in the same degree designation after having already earned that bachelor’s degree from UW-Milwaukee may do so by fulfilling the requirements of the relevant college/school. Post-bachelor’s activity is recorded on their academic transcript, and the subsequent credential is recorded at the time of completion. Students with a bachelor’s degree from any other accredited institution who wish to subsequently earn a bachelor’s degree from UW-Milwaukee must complete a minimum of 30 additional undergraduate credits in residence at UW-Milwaukee. Transfer students must complete the requirements of the UW-Milwaukee major and have a minimum of 150 earned degree credits in total between the two degrees. Not all degrees are eligible for completion as a second bachelor’s degree. Students should consult the school/college to confirm eligibility. It is within the purview of the school/college to determine if credits from a prior bachelor’s degree can be used in part to complete an additional credential, such as a certificate, as part of the second bachelor’s degree. Credit residency rules may also apply. 

Additional Information

All students earning two bachelor’s degrees need to apply and be admitted to the school/college for both degrees. They will also apply separately for graduation for each degree and pay separate graduation fees for each degree. Students cannot earn more than one associate degree either concurrently or post-graduation. 

Requirement Term

Students follow the requirements outlined in the academic catalog according to the term of their admission. For students entering UW-Milwaukee in Fall 2025 or later:

  1. Students who wish to opt into a different requirement term must receive the approval of their school/college via a signed request form. If new school/college requirements compel students to change their requirement term, the school/college must receive signed consent from the student.
  2. The requirement term for re-entry students will be that of the most recent term of admission. Students may appeal to their school/college to revert back to a prior requirement term.

Class Standing/Level in School

Prerequisites for certain courses are determined by class standing. The chart below presents the number of credits for the different class standings.

Class Standing Number of Credits Earned
Sophomore 24-55
Junior 56-85
Senior 86 or more

The prerequisite given in the course listing refers to the qualifications and/or standing needed to enroll in a given course. If no prerequisite is listed, the course is generally open to all students. If more than one prerequisite is listed, all are necessary unless a choice is clearly indicated. A student who enrolls in a course without the required prerequisites may be dropped.

Course Load

A full course load for undergraduates is considered to be a minimum of 12 credits. This definition may differ from that of the Veterans Administration, the Selective Service System, or other agencies. UWM assumes no responsibilities in this connection.

Grading System

UWM uses a letter grade system that includes "plus" and "minus" grades and is based on a 4.000 scale. For convenience in computing averages, each letter grade carries a specified number of points per credit. The scale of grades and points follows:

Grade (Points per credit)
A (4.000) Excellent
A- (3.670)
B+ (3.330)
B (3.000) Good
B- (2.670)
C+ (2.330)
C (2.000) Fair
C- (1.670)
D+ (1.330)
D (1.000) Poor
D- (0.670)
F (0-16) (0.000) Fail

In addition, students may be allowed to take a limited number of courses on a "Credit/No Credit" basis, and may enroll on an "Audit" basis in courses for which they do not wish to obtain college credit. The following symbols are used where grade points are not involved:

Symbol Description
I or EI Incomplete
S Satisfactory
U Unsatisfactory
P Progress
PR Progress (Flexible Option only)
Credit C- or above (credit/no credit courses only)
No Credit Below C- (credit/no credit courses only)
NC Not completed (audit courses only)
Not Rptd Grade was not submitted in time to be reported
W Course dropped by student after fourth week of semester or first quarter of shorter session
WR Administrative drop (enrollment in course violates permitted number of repeats)
#W Administrative drop (enrollment in course violates permitted number of repeats), effective March 2002
R Repeat course (counts in GPA)
# Repeat course (does not count in GPA)

Instructors of competency sets offered through the UW Flexible Option at UW-Milwaukee may assign a grade of PR (“Progress”) for students who successfully complete at least one but not all competency assessments within the set. The PR grade will be a final grade that signifies the enrollment counts as a course attempt for repeat purposes. The PR grade does not award any earned credit or GPA value. The PR grade may only be awarded for the initial attempt of a competency set.

F Grades – Additional Information

When reporting a grade of F, instructors also will report a number corresponding to the student's "week of last participation" in the course. This is the last week of the term for which there is documented evidence of the student's participation in the course. A student receiving the grade of F0 would, therefore, be one who never attended or participated, whereas a student grade of F16 would signify completion of the entire term. The numeral for "week of last participation" will be reflected on unofficial transcripts and grade reports. On official transcripts, only the grade of F will be reflected.

Grade Point Average

The number of grade points earned in a course is computed by multiplying the points for the grade by the number of credits offered for the course. (Example: A B earned in a three-credit course would give you nine grade points.)

The general quality of a student's work is expressed in terms of the grade point average (GPA). This is the total number of grade points earned divided by the total number of GPA credits. The highest possible average is 4.000 or an A in every subject.

The UWM grade point average recorded on your official transcript is based solely upon credits earned or attempted at UWM on a regular graded basis. Even though you may receive credits for coursework taken elsewhere, such transfer credits are not counted as part of the GPA at UWM. Some schools and colleges have different standards for GPA calculation and may include transfer work for admission or graduation; see degree requirements within each school/college for specifics. Credits granted by examination or UWM credits taken on an audit or credit/no credit grading basis also are excluded from the official UWM grade point average.

Credits transferred internally between curricular tracks within the University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee will carry grade point value and count as UWM credit for repeat purposes. 

If you are returning to UWM and have not previously earned your undergraduate degree, your cumulative GPA will continue from your last point of enrollment. If you have previously earned your undergraduate degree, you should apply as a "Second Degree" student. Your credits and GPA will start over with the courses you take upon your return, and your original record cannot be altered.

Academic Drop and Probation Policy

Academic Probation: Imposed on students whose cumulative GPA falls below 2.000. The student on academic probation whose semester GPA is 2.000 or better, but whose cumulative GPA remains below 2.000, is permitted to continue on academic probation.

Cleared Probation: Achieved when cumulative GPA increases to 2.000 or above.

Dropped for One Semester: Imposed on any student on academic probation who fails to earn a semester GPA of 2.000.

Final Probation: Applies to a student who is permitted to enroll after any drop action. The student on final probation whose semester GPA is 2.000 or better, but whose cumulative GPA remains below 2.000, is permitted to continue on final academic probation.

Dropped for Two Years: Imposed on any student on final probation who fails to achieve a semester and cumulative GPA of 2.000 or better.

  1. A student with a cumulative GPA (grade point average) of 2.0 or higher is in good academic standing.
  2. A student whose cumulative GPA falls below 2.0 is placed on academic probation. A student on academic probation whose cumulative GPA remains below 2.0 but whose semester GPA is 2.0 or above remains on academic probation. A student on academic probation earning a semester GPA below 2.0, is dropped for one semester. A student on academic probation clears probation and returns to good academic standing when a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or better is achieved.
  3. A dropped student may appeal to be reinstated or readmitted as laid out below. A reinstated or readmitted student is placed on final probation.  
    1. A student may appeal to be reinstated immediately after a drop action. They must appeal to the dean or a designee of the school, college, or academic unit to which they belonged when the drop action was earned.
    2. A student may apply for readmission after sitting out the required drop period. After their drop period has elapsed, they re-enter the program from which they were dropped.
    3. A student who chooses to change their program after sitting out their drop period may only do so with the permission of the dean or a designee of their new program. 
    4. A student who chooses to change from a bachelor's degree program to an associate degree program after sitting out their drop period can do so without permission.
    5. A student who has been dropped from a bachelor’s program may appeal to the administrative unit that is in charge of associate’s degrees for immediate reinstatement to the associate program. They do not need permission from the school, college, or academic unit to which they belonged when the drop action was earned. 
  4. A student on final probation who fails to achieve a semester GPA of 2.0 or better is dropped for two years. A student on final probation whose cumulative GPA remains below 2.0 but whose semester GPA is 2.0 or above remains on final probation. A student on final probation clears final probation and returns to good academic standing when a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or better is achieved. 

Academic Renewal


To qualify for academic renewal, a former degree candidate must:

  1. Not have graduated from UW-Milwaukee or have earned a baccalaureate degree or associate degree from any other institution.
  2. Not have been enrolled at UW-Milwaukee for two consecutive years. 
  3. Be readmitted to UW-Milwaukee as a degree-seeking student, and
  4. Have a cumulative grade-point average (GPA) below a 2.0 at the time of readmission.

Explanations and Restrictions

  1. The “Academic Renewal Period” comprises all academic work completed at UW-Milwaukee prior to the two-year period of no enrollment.
  2. After readmission, students must earn a GPA of 2.5 or higher in the first 12 earned credits at UW-Milwaukee BEFORE applying for academic renewal.
  3. Academic renewal does not adjust the GPA and number of credits attempted and counted toward Satisfactory Academic Progress for financial aid.
  4. All other University policies (for example, the UW-Milwaukee Repeat Policy) remain in effect and are not changed by the granting of academic renewal.
  5. To be eligible for a bachelor's degree, students must complete a minimum of 30 credits at UW-Milwaukee after the granting of academic renewal. To be eligible for an associate degree, students must complete a minimum of 12 credits at UW-Milwaukee after the granting of academic renewal. 
  6. If a student seeks admission to a degree program in a school or college other than the one that granted their academic renewal, that school or college has the right to consider all coursework and grades, including those academically forgiven, in making its admission determination.

Impact on Student's Record

  1. A notation in the remarks area of the student’s transcript indicates academic renewal. All courses taken and grades earned during the Academic Renewal Period will continue to appear on the student’s record, but the grades of all classes taken during the Academic Renewal Period will be excluded from the student’s cumulative GPA.
  2. All grades earned in courses that were taken during the Academic Renewal Period will be excluded from the student’s cumulative GPA. Students may not retain grades earned in some courses within the Academic Renewal Period and have academic renewal applied to others.
  3. If academic renewal is granted, credit hours earned during the Academic Renewal Period may be used to satisfy degree requirements even though they are not included in calculating the student’s total GPA.

Repeat Requests

Students may be granted only one academic renewal. 

More information on applying for academic renewal can be found in the Academic Actions section of One Stop. 


An incomplete may be given to an undergraduate who has carried a subject successfully until near the end of the semester but, because of illness or other unusual and substantiated cause beyond that student's control, has been unable to take or complete the final examination or to complete some limited amount of term work. An incomplete is not given unless the student proves to the instructor that s/he was prevented from completing course requirements for just cause as indicated above.

A course marked incomplete must be completed during the next succeeding semester, excluding summer sessions and UWinterim. If the student does not remove the incomplete during this period, the report of “I” will lapse to “F”. With approval of the instructor, additional time may be granted through a request to the instructor for an Extended Incomplete (“EI”), including cases where the “I” lapsed to “F”. The determination to assign an “EI” grade is at the sole discretion of the instructor or, if an instructor cannot be contacted, the department chair. The “EI” grade will lapse to “F” after one calendar year unless a final grade is awarded or another extension is requested by the instructor or department.

Incomplete (“I”) or Extended Incomplete (“EI”) courses may not be used to satisfy degree requirements. Incomplete (“I”) or Extended Incomplete (“EI”) courses will be converted to Permanent Incomplete (“PI”) prior to degree posting if not required for graduation. The PI does not change the impact of the "F" grade on the student’s record. It is equivalent to earning the lapsed "F" grade in terms of how it affects the student’s GPA and GPA credits. 

Schools/Colleges may have stricter requirements. Please contact your academic advisor to confirm the requirements for your academic program.


Students enrolling in more than the maximum credit load will be assessed extra tuition above the normal full-time rate. A student must obtain approval for an overload in the office of their academic dean. The maximum credit load for undergraduates for Fall and Spring registration is 18 credits in all schools and colleges, except Fine Arts (18 credits or three studio courses). For Summer enrollment, the limit is 12 credits during the full term duration, but no more than four credits during any session less than or equal to four weeks. The UWinteriM enrollment limit is three credits. 

Repeating Courses

Unless a restriction is stated in the Schedule of Classes, undergraduates may repeat a course only once, and only the higher of the two grades will be calculated into the grade point average (GPA). Both attempts will appear on the student's transcript. Only two attempts are allowed for the same or equivalent course at and across any undergraduate career level (associate, bachelors, and Flex programs) before permission is needed for the third attempt. For students in a Flex program, a PR grade and a subsequent enrollment in the same course are considered two attempts. 

If the UWM course repeats a course for which the student received transfer credit, only the UWM course will be calculated into the GPA, regardless of grade. Both attempts will be shown on the transcript. Once a bachelor's degree has been earned, the academic career (credits, GPA, and coursework) starts over with any subsequent enrollment and the original record cannot be altered. Courses taken after the bachelor's degree has been earned do not count as repeats of courses taken prior to the posting of the degree.

A student will not be permitted to repeat any course more than once without the prior approval of the student's school/college advising office. Further restrictions apply. More information at The single repeat limit also applies to courses taken for audit or credit/no credit.

Note: Exceptions to this policy are variable-topic courses, which may be taken for credit as often as permitted for that particular course, as specified in the Schedule of Classes. A variable-topic course may count as a repeat of a previously taken course only if the topic is identical to that of the student's earlier enrollment and the repeat occurs within the same academic career.

Students who took a course as a repeat prior to fall 1988 are entitled to one additional enrollment. Transfer students who did not previously take a course at UWM are entitled to one repeat at UWM of a course taken at a previous institution.

In courses of limited enrollment, students who have not taken the course previously have priority over students who are repeating the course. Individual schools and colleges may adopt stricter criteria. It is generally advisable for any student to consult an advisor before registering to repeat a course.

If you have previously earned your degree from UWM, your attempted and earned credits as well as your cumulative GPA will start over with the courses you take in pursuit of your second degree. Courses taken as part of your first degree will not be considered repeats. Your original record cannot be altered.


Students must meet the graduation requirements of their school or college, which includes notifying the advising office in the school or college of their intent to graduate at least one semester prior to graduation. Generally, students may begin to apply for May Commencement in mid-November, and December Commencement in mid-April. To apply for graduation, log in to PAWS. From the "Academics" section of your Student Center, click on the "Other Academic" drop-down box, select "Apply for Graduation," and click on the double arrows to proceed to the application.

Commencement exercises are held in either May or December. Students who graduate at the end of the summer sessions participate in May Commencement. Students who graduate at the end of the UWinteriM session participate in December Commencement. Attendance at Commencement is optional.

Commencement Honors are listed on each applicable Undergraduate program page.

Credit/No Credit Option

To be granted credit for a course for which you have registered credit/no credit (C/NC), you must earn a grade of C- or better. Consult the table below to determine whether you may enroll for courses on a credit/no credit basis. Courses may not be taken credit/no credit if they are to be used to satisfy the GER English and mathematics competencies or awarding of final honors.

College or School Credit/No Credit Policy
Architecture and Urban Planning Pre-Architecture students and upper-level students with a 2.500 cumulative GPA may take one course per semester as credit/no credit up to a maximum of eight courses. Elective courses other than the 48 credits required for the Architectural Studies degree qualify.
The Arts Undergraduates in The Arts may take one course per semester as credit/no credit up to a maximum of eight courses. Core curriculum courses outside of the student’s major subject area qualify. Students should see their advisor for details.
Business Undergraduates in the Lubar College of Business may take one course per semester as credit/no credit up to a maximum of eight courses. No Business course may be taken on a C/NC basis unless it is only offered on a C/NC basis. Business students may not take courses used to complete the Business Foundations: COMMUN 103, COMMUN 105, ECON 103, ECON 104, MATH 208, or MATH 211 on a C/NC basis.
Education Undergraduates in Education and Pre-Education should see their advisor.
Engineering and Applied Science Only free elective and GER courses may be taken as credit/no credit. Undergraduates in Engineering and Applied Science may take no more than 3 credits in any one semester as credit/no credit up to a maximum of 12 credits.
General Studies Undergraduates in the Associate career may take a maximum of four courses as credit/no credit. The credits will be counted toward total degree credits earned but will not affect a student’s grade point average. Only courses outside of the core writing and math requirements and the breadth requirements of the Associate degree qualify.
Honors College Credit/no credit is not allowed for Honors courses.
Information Studies Undergraduates in Information Science and Technology may take one course per semester as credit/no credit up to a maximum of eight courses. All non-Information Studies (courses outside the School of Information Studies) that are not required as part of the student’s major qualify.
Letters and Science Only courses outside the major, minor and certificate allowed. Students may enroll in one eligible course per semester as credit/no credit up to a maximum of eight courses.
Nursing Undergraduates in Nursing may take one course per semester as credit/no credit up to a maximum of eight courses. Courses must be non-clinical electives in Nursing.
Public Health Undergraduates enrolled in the Public Health, Kinesiology and Nutritional Sciences programs should consult with their academic advisor for the latest policy.
Social Welfare Undergraduate majors and pre-majors in Social Work and Criminal Justice and Criminology may take one course per semester as credit/no credit up to a maximum of eight courses. Credit/no credit may only be used in courses outside the 54-65 credit requirements in the Social Work or Criminal Justice and Criminology major.

University Special Students should contact an advisor in the the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. Off-campus students should contact the appropriate program coordinator.

Some courses are offered on a C/NC basis only. These may be taken in addition to the above limits. C/NC courses are not counted in the GPA, but courses in which credit is earned will count toward graduation. Courses may be changed from a regular graded basis to C/NC or vice versa only during the same period as courses may be added. Only one such change may be made per semester per course.

Accommodation of Religious Beliefs

  1. A student shall be permitted to make up an examination or other academic requirement at another time or by an alternative method, without any prejudicial effect, where:
    1. There is a scheduling conflict between the student's sincerely held religious beliefs and taking the examination or meeting the academic requirements; and
    2. The student has notified the instructor, within the first three weeks of the beginning of classes (within the first week of summer session and short courses), of the specific days or dates on which they will request relief from an examination or academic requirement.
  2. Instructors may schedule a make-up examination or other academic requirement before or after the regularly scheduled examination or other academic requirement.
  3. Instructors shall accept, at face value, the sincerity of students' religious beliefs.
  4. Student notification of instructors and requests for relief under sub. (1) shall be kept confidential.
  5. Complaints of failure to provide reasonable accommodation of a student's sincerely held religious beliefs as required by this rule may be filed under SAAP 5-1 Discriminatory Conduct and Consensual Relationships Policy.

Students Called to Military Service

Students called into active military service should contact the Military Educational Benefits Office for more information, Mellencamp Hall 168, (414) 229-5699, or visit the website.

The University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution, and does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, color, creed, national origin, disability, or any other protected status recognized by Wisconsin or federal law. In 1990, s. 36.12, Wisconsin Statutes, was enacted, which provides as follows: No student may be denied admission to, participation in, or the benefits of, or discriminated against in any service, program, course, or facility of the (UW) System or its institutions or centers because of the student’s race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, disability, ancestry, age, sexual orientation, pregnancy, marital status, or parental status.

University policies also prohibit harassment or retaliation against complainants on any of these bases. These policies are in compliance with all relevant Wisconsin and federal laws, rules, and regulations.

Questions about the application of any of these policies, or complaints about violations, may be directed to the appropriate admitting or employing office, or to the campus Office of Equity and Diversity Services, Mitchell Hall, Room 359, or phone (414) 229-5923.

An information booklet on the UWM Disciplinary Guidelines and the appropriate sections of the Wisconsin Administrative Code covering conduct on University lands and student disciplinary procedures is available in the lobby of Mellencamp Hall and in several offices, including the Office of the Dean of Students, Mellencamp Hall, Room 118. Board of Regents rules require adherence by students and others present on the campus. Failure to comply with these rules may subject students to disciplinary action and to civil forfeitures. State of Wisconsin Statutes and Federal Law also apply on the campus of the University.

Under the provision of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974, a student is entitled to review the education records related to the student that the University maintains. A student may request a hearing regarding any alleged inaccurate, misleading, or inappropriate information contained in the record.

The University may not disclose information from a student’s record to a third party unless the student gives consent, or unless permitted to do so by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974. A student may contact the Undergraduate Records Office or the Office of the Dean of Students, both in Mellencamp Hall, for further information.

You may restrict the release of your address and phone number and other limited information by checking a box on your registration form. If you do this, your address and phone number will not appear on most mailing lists used by UWM student organizations, campus departments, or on mailing lists obtained from UWM by non-University groups.

The various academic units at UWM have set up appeals and grievance procedures. Students may avail themselves of these procedures by contacting a department chair, the dean’s office of the school or college from which the course was taken, or the Office of the Dean of Students.

UWM Equal Opportunity Policy

It is the policy of the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee to provide equal opportunity and prohibit discrimination and harassment for its employees and students in all programs, activities, and employment. UWM is committed to actively implement all federal and state equal opportunity and affirmative action laws, executive orders, policies, plans, rules, and regulations.

UWM's Discriminatory Conduct Policy (Including Sexual Harassment) (S-47) defines discrimination as conduct that

  1. adversely affects any aspect of an individual's employment, education, or participation in activities or programs at UWM; and
  2. is based on one or more characteristics of the individual that are protected under federal, state, or local laws.

Characteristics that are protected under federal, state, or local law (protected statuses) may include age; ancestry; arrest or conviction record; color; disability; gender identity/expression; identity as a veteran, disabled veteran, or Vietnam veteran; marital status; membership in the National Guard, state defense force, or any other reserve component of the military forces of the United States or this state; national origin; pregnancy; political affiliation; race; religion; sex; sexual orientation; or use of lawful products off the premises during non-working hours (e.g., smoking cigarettes).

Harassment is a form of prohibited discrimination. UWM defines harassment as conduct that

  1. is of any type (oral, written, graphic, or physical);
  2. is directed towards or against a person because of the person's protected status (as listed above); and
  3. unreasonably interferes with the individual's work, education, or participation in activities or programs at UWM, or creates a working or learning environment that a reasonable person would find threatening or intimidating.

Sexual harassment includes unwanted sexual advances, requests for sexual favors, and other verbal and physical conduct of a sexual nature.

Speech or expressive behavior (e.g., use of visual, recorded, or written materials) used in the context of an instructional setting may be found to constitute harassment only if the speech is persistent, pervasive, and not germane to the subject matter, or so singularly severe as to create a hostile environment. Protected Expressive Behavior in an instructional situation is explained in UWM Selected Academic and Administrative Policies No. S-44, Public Expression of Opinion.

In addition, the University prohibits retaliation against individuals who engage in protected activities under the policy. Retaliation is defined as employment or academic decisions that are made because a student, employee, or applicant for employment has made a complaint, assisted with or served as a witness in an investigation, or instituted proceedings alleging discrimination.

UWM maintains a written affirmative action plan in order to meet its commitment to the principles of equal opportunity and affirmative action. The plan is available to all persons for inspection and is on reserve in the University Library and on UWM's website.

To protect the rights of employees and students, numerous grievance procedures have been developed on this campus. Although all grievants are encouraged to resolve complaints by working with the relevant parties and administrators, inquiries involving complaints of discrimination or harassment based on protected class status may be directed to the UWM Office of Equity and Diversity Services, Mitchell Hall 359, (414) 229-5923.

Hate/Bias Incident Reporting

In the last few years, there has been an increased focus on the reporting of hate- and bias-motivated incidents on university campuses across the nation. UWM defines a hate- or bias-motivated incident as any disruptive conduct (oral, written, graphic, or physical) that is against an individual, or individuals, because of their actual, or perceived, race, color, national origin/ancestry, religion, sex, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, veteran and National Guard status, marital status, pregnancy, political affiliation, or arrest/conviction record. If you believe the incident involves criminal conduct, please call 911 or 9-911 (UWM campus police) from a UWM phone, in addition to completing the Hate/Bias Incident Reporting Form. You may use this form to report any hate/bias incident that has occurred

  1. on UWM property, buildings, or housing; and/or
  2. at UWM-sponsored events or activities, regardless of location.

University Policies and Programs Concerning Illicit Drugs and Alcohol

Consistent with the federal Drug Free Schools and Communities Act, the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee (UWM) maintains a comprehensive alcohol and other drug abuse prevention program. This includes interventions that target at-risk individuals, programs that target the student body as a whole, and environmental-level strategies that impact the college and surrounding community. UWM prohibits the unlawful possession, use, distribution, manufacture, or dispensing of illicit drugs and alcohol on university property or as part of university activities. Each semester, students receive information that describes pertinent laws, rules, and sanctions, as well as the health effects of abuse, and a list of treatment resources.

Please Note:

For the latest enrollment information, check online at our One Stop Enrollment and Financial Services site.

Eligibility to Enroll

You can find more information on enrollment eligibility at UWM's One Stop site.

Enrollment is the process of signing up for classes, which is typically completed electronically in PAWS. Continuing students are generally able to enroll in classes as long as these requirements are met:

  • Enrollment in classes at UWM within the past two fall/spring terms (if not, an application for re-entry to UWM must be submitted)
  • An application for graduation was not submitted for the current semester (if so, the Registrar’s Office must be contacted to postpone graduation or an application must be submitted for a new program to pursue after graduation)
  • No Holds exist in PAWS (view Hold details in PAWS)

New students must be officially admitted in order to be eligible to enroll. New freshmen enroll during New Student Orientation. 

For more information about the application and admission processes, see the Admission section of this catalog.

Academic Advising Prior to Enrollment

All students are assigned an academic advisor upon admission to UWM and all new freshmen must meet with their advisor before they will be permitted to enroll for their first term. Academic advising prior to enrollment is strongly encouraged for all students.

These requirements are subject to change. If you are unsure of the requirements for your particular program, or do not know who your academic advisor is, consult your school/college advising office.

Enrollment Procedures and Deadlines

The initial enrollment cycle begins in October for the winter term, November for the spring term, March for the summer term, and April for the fall term. The Schedule of Classes may be viewed online.

Continuing students are assigned enrollment appointment times that can be viewed on PAWS. Enrollment appointments indicate the first opportunity to enroll online using PAWS after priority enrollment begins. New and re-entering students will receive enrollment information as soon as appropriate after admission. New freshmen enroll as part of New Student Orientation.

Students are assigned an "earliest possible" enrollment date and time based on their level and total earned credits within their level (e.g., graduate student, senior, junior, sophomore, freshman, special/non-degree student). More information on enrollment appointments can be found at One Stop.

Details about the enrollment process, deadlines for a particular term, and penalties for late enrollment are described at One Stop. Please ensure that you are taking advantage of your earliest opportunity to enroll, as well as complying with necessary procedures and deadlines.

Priority Enrollment Appointments

The following student populations have been granted priority in assigned enrollment appointments, applicable to continuing and transfer students:

  • Military veterans*
  • Honors College students
  • Student Athletes
  • Student Dance/Cheer Team members
  • Students approved for priority enrollment through the Accessibility Resource Center.

* Student veterans can be approved for priority enrollment once verified by the Military Education Benefits Office.

Priority Enrollment Appointments are assigned beginning the first hour of the first day of each semester's enrollment period.

Change of Enrollment/Add and Drop or Withdrawal from Classes

After initial enrollment, students have the opportunity to modify their class schedule by adding, dropping, or withdrawing from classes during specific periods prior to the start of the semester. Such changes can be made without financial penalty until the start of the term (or before the start of a particular summer session). However, significant financial penalties can apply for changes made beyond the appropriate deadline, and some departments have unique deadlines and approval requirements governing how and when students may add and drop particular courses. Some academic programs also require their students to obtain specific approval for adding or dropping courses. Consult the Interactive Add/Drop Calendar and Important Dates by Term for dates, deadlines, and procedures.

Late Enrollment and Late Payment Fees

Additional fees and penalties will be assessed of students who enroll after published deadlines or who pay their fee/tuition assessments late. Consult the Interactive Add/Drop Calendar and Important Dates by Term in order to avoid these penalties.

Concurrent Enrollment

Undergraduate students may enroll in coursework outside of the curricular track associated with their degree program with approval from their academic dean. 

Students wishing to enroll concurrently at UWM and at another college or university may do so only with the advance approval of their UWM school/college advising office.

Students enrolled part time at more than one UW campus normally pay fees separately to each campus. Students enrolled full time at one campus and part time at another generally pay full-time tuition at their full-time campus and only segregated fees at the part-time campus. However, some specialized programs or courses with special class fees may require payment above the full-time fee rate. Contact the Registrar's Office for additional details.

ID Cards

UW System regulations require that each student have a picture ID card. This card is used to verify student status and eligibility for participation or service. Students are expected to obtain their ID during their first semester at UWM. Should should obtain their ID card at their home campus. ID cards may be obtained at the Milwaukee campus in the PantherCard Office, Union W198. ID cards may be obtained in the Library on each respective campus of the College of General Studies.

If you are enrolled only in online courses and wish to obtain an ID card verifying your affiliation with UWM, go to for more information.

Program Integrity

Pursuant to the U.S. Department of Education’s Program Integrity Rule, the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee is required to provide all prospective and current students with the contact information of the state agency or agencies that handle complaints against postsecondary educational institutions offering distance learning or correspondence education within that state. Students are encouraged to utilize the institution’s internal complaint or review policies and procedures through the Dean of Students Office (414-229-4632) or Office of the Provost (414-229-3203) prior to filing a complaint with the state agency or agencies. If no resolution is reached, then the student may file a complaint with the Wisconsin Distance Learning Authorization Board (DLAB) through the following State Authorization Reciprocity Complaint Process at the following link: or by email to


Associate Degree General Education Breadth Categories

Arts and Humanities (A & HU)

Students must acquire knowledge of ideas, beliefs, and abiding concerns pertaining to the human condition as represented in literature, philosophy and cultural history. They must acquire a level of aesthetic appreciation of the human imagination as expressed in the fine arts, and appreciation of the impact of the arts upon the quality and character of human life. Courses listed as meeting the A or HU GER requirements in the Catalog and Schedule of Classes may apply to this breadth category.

Mathematical and Natural Sciences (MS & NS)

Students must know of the nature and workings of the physical universe. They must understand scientific method, the functions of numerical data and the solving of problems through mathematical and statistical computations, as well as the application of the scientific method in laboratory and experimental work. For this, an appropriate level of computer literacy is required. Students must also be aware of environmental conditions and challenges, the interrelationships of lifeforms and ecosystems, and the impact of human activities upon natural environments. Courses listed as meeting the MS or NS GER requirements in the Catalog and Schedule of Classes may apply to this breadth category.

Social Sciences (SS)

Students must understand the nature and dynamics of human social systems and how and why people organize their lives and resources. In doing so, students will learn about both their own and diverse cultures to acquire a historical perspective on long-term characteristics and consequences of social change and an informed understanding of the variety of human conditions and the interrelationships of nations, regions, peoples and individuals. Courses listed as meeting the SS GER requirements in the Catalog and Schedule of Classes may apply to this breadth category.

Cultural Diversity (CD)

Students must become aware of and sensitive to diversity issues and problems. Courses fulfilling this requirement will have a substantial emphasis on cultural diversity within the United States and examine these issues from at least one of the following perspectives: African American, Hispanic/Latino, Asian American, and American Indian topics. Courses listed as meeting the CD GER requirements in the Catalog and Schedule of Classes may apply to this breadth category.

Applied Scholarship (AS)  

Students must engage with academic material in a manner that is different from what is typical in a first or second-year college course. Students must spend significant time on purposeful tasks, receive and respond to substantial feedback, and engage in interaction with instructors and other students. A course can be designated as AS by fulfilling the requirements of one of the following categories: Writing Emphasis, Undergraduate Research, Global Learning Opportunities, Service Learning, Internships, or Integrated Studies. Courses listed as meeting the AS GER requirements in the Catalog and Schedule of Classes may apply to this breadth category. 

Bachelor's Degree General Education Requirements

The General Education Requirements are intended to give structure to each student's education while providing the student the greatest possible freedom to design an individual academic program. These requirements include two major categories, competency and distribution.

The competency requirements are designed to assure basic proficiency in oral and written communication, quantitative literacy, and foreign language. The GER Quantitative Literacy Part A and Oral and Written Communications Part A requirements should be completed early in the academic career to ensure acquisition of critical skills for subsequent coursework. Many UWM schools/colleges require completion of Part A of those competencies prior to advancing to the professional portion of the major. Completion of the relevant Part A competency is also a prerequisite for some intermediate and advanced courses. The distribution requirements are designed to provide students with a broad body of knowledge in the areas of the arts, humanities, natural sciences, and social sciences as a foundation for specialization.

Specific GER requirements are as follows:

Competency Requirements

Oral and Written Communication (OWC) Competency

OWC Part A

Completion of OWC Part A can be demonstrated by satisfying one of the following options:

  1. earning at least three credits with a grade of C or higher in ENGLISH 1021; or
  2. transferring at least three credits with a grade of C or higher in a course equivalent to ENGLISH 102 or higher level expository writing course1; or
  3. achieving an appropriate score on the English Placement or other appropriate test, as determined by the English Department.
OWC Part B

The OWC Part B is satisfied by completing an approved advanced course (at least three credits) with a significant written or oral communication component by students who have completed the Part A requirement.

Courses that count toward the OWC Part B requirement may be offered in a variety of disciplines and students are encouraged to choose the course that matches their interests and helps them best meet the requirements of their degrees.

Quantitative Literacy (QL) Competency

QL Part A

Completion of QL Part A can be demonstrated by satisfying one of the following options:

  1. earning at least three credits with a grade of C or higher in MATH 102MATH 103 (formerly 106), MATH 105, MATH 108, MATH 111/PHILOS 111MATH 115MATH 116, MATH 175, or equivalent courses1; or
  2. achieving a placement level of at least 30 on a mathematics placement test or other appropriate test as determined by the Mathematical Sciences Department.
QL Part B

The QL Part B is satisfied by completing at least one approved QL Part B course (at least three credits) as decided by the major. QL Part B courses make significant use of quantitative tools in the context of other course material.


These courses may not be taken credit/no credit if they are to be used to satisfy the OWC Part A requirement or QL Part A requirement.

Language Requirement

Based on the UWM mission's commitment to global and intercultural engagement, UWM requires that students demonstrate competency in a language other than English equivalent to completion of one year of college-level instruction.

Completion of the language requirement can be demonstrated by satisfying one of the following options:

  1. Prior to enrollment at UWM, complete with a passing grade at least the second year of high school-level instruction in a single language other than English; or
  2. complete the second semester or higher of college-level instruction in a language other than English with a passing grade; or
  3. demonstrate ability at the level of completion of the second semester or higher of college-level language other than English by means of a satisfactory score on an approved proficiency, departmental, or other appropriate examination; or
  4. document satisfactory completion of the equivalent of two years of study at a secondary institution OR two semesters of study at a post-secondary institution where the language of instruction is other than English; or
  5. satisfy the APCC-approved alternative GER Language Requirement, if any, stipulated by the student's particular degree program.

Completion of the Language Requirement is a prerequisite for graduation.

Distribution Requirements

Courses taken for distribution provide the general educational background for each student. The distribution requirements comprise course choices from the following knowledge areas:

  • The Arts. Three credits in a course in the history, philosophy, theory, or practice of the creative and interpretive arts (e.g., visual arts, dance, music, and theatre).
  • The Humanities. A total of 6 credits in at least two courses.
  • The Natural Sciences. A total of 6 credits in at least two courses. At least one course must include laboratory or field experience illustrating the generation and testing of data and the application of concepts and knowledge to the solution of problems.
  • The Social Sciences. A total of 6 credits in at least two courses.
  • Cultural Diversity. All UWM students who are subject to the GER (and entered UWM in fall 1989 or later) must complete, as part of their distribution requirements, 3 credits pertaining to the study of the life experiences of African Americans, Latino/Hispanic Americans, American Indians, or Asian Americans.

GER Standard Distribution courses for specific semesters may be found online at Individual schools and colleges may have limitations on what GER courses from other schools and colleges can be counted; students should check with their advisor.

Exceptions to GER

Students who entered UWM as freshmen and/or earned transferable credit as a college student prior to September 2013 are not responsible for the Oral and Written Communication Part B or the Quantitative Literacy Part B. 

Students who entered UWM as freshmen and/or earned transferable credit as a college student prior to September 1999 are not responsible for the GER foreign language competency. However, individual schools and colleges may require completion of higher-level foreign language courses; students are strongly encouraged to check with their advisors and/or review their Academic Requirements report on PAWS.

In general, second degree candidates from an accredited institution and students whose first semester in a degree program at an accredited institution predates September 1986 are not subject to the General Education Requirements.

All degree programs have specific requirements beyond GER. Consult with an academic advisor to design an appropriate course of study.