Effective Spring 2023, the Youth Work certificate has suspended admission. 

The Youth Work Certificate is available to students in Social Work, Community Education and Engagement, Exceptional Education, and Educational Studies. It is ideal for students who want to learn more about adolescence and working with youth in a variety of settings, including large and small community based programs, group homes, foster care, and residential treatment centers. The focus is on youth who are troubled or at high risk, but much of the learning applies to youth in general and younger children as well. 

Effective Spring 2023, the Youth Work certificate has suspended admission. 


ED POL/SOC WRK 580An Overview of Child/Youth Care3
ED POL/SOC WRK 581Youth Work Practice3
ED POL 509Fieldwork/Practicum in Education and the Community 12-3
Select 6 credits of courses focused on Human Development or Family Work in consultation with advisor6
Total Credits14-15

Fieldwork must relate to child and/or youth care.

Undergraduate Advising

Our purpose is to provide collaborative, mentoring relationships which promote educational, career, and professional development. We value a student-centered, holistic, and ethical approach to advising based on strong partnerships with students, faculty and staff, and the larger campus community. We are committed to creating a respectful and supportive environment. We encourage students to be self-reliant through informed decisions and choices based upon dissemination of accurate information. We value our own continuous professional development to enhance the quality of the advising experience.

How to Prepare for an Advising Meeting

  • Review your Advisement Report in PAWS.
  • Come prepared with questions or topics for discussion.
  • Make a list of courses you think you should take.
  • Investigate opportunities to prepare for the job you want.
  • Keep a record of your academic progress.
  • Understand you are ultimately responsible for creating your educational, life, and career plans.
  • Maintain honest and open communication with your advisor.
  • Take responsibility for choices you make as a student and member of the UW-Milwaukee community.

Scheduling an Appointment

Office of Student Services
Enderis Hall, Room 209
(414) 229-4721

Graduate Advising

If you are a School of Education graduate student, you may schedule an appointment with your faculty advisor by contacting your faculty advisor directly. Faculty contact information can be found in the Directory. Your faculty advisor will be listed in your PAWS account.