With this minor, students can learn about local urban communities and how to improve them. This practical knowledge can provide a foundation for building a career in a variety of human services and community-based careers. The Community Engagement and Education minor is open to all undergraduate students, but should be of particular interest to majors in:

  • Africology
  • Anthropology
  • Business
  • Communication
  • Education
  • Philosophy
  • Political Science
  • Psychology,
  • Social Welfare
  • Sociology


Students may declare the minor after completing at least 45 credits, but prior to completing 75 credits.

Lower Division Requirements
ED POL 112Introduction to Community Education, Engagement, and Development3
ED POL 114Community Issues, Policies, and Solutions3
Upper Division Electives
Select 12 credits of 300-level or higher ED POL courses12
Total Credits18

Undergraduate Advising

Our purpose is to provide collaborative, mentoring relationships which promote educational, career, and professional development. We value a student-centered, holistic, and ethical approach to advising based on strong partnerships with students, faculty and staff, and the larger campus community. We are committed to creating a respectful and supportive environment. We encourage students to be self-reliant through informed decisions and choices based upon dissemination of accurate information. We value our own continuous professional development to enhance the quality of the advising experience.

How to Prepare for an Advising Meeting

  • Review your Advisement Report in PAWS.
  • Come prepared with questions or topics for discussion.
  • Make a list of courses you think you should take.
  • Investigate opportunities to prepare for the job you want.
  • Keep a record of your academic progress.
  • Understand you are ultimately responsible for creating your educational, life, and career plans.
  • Maintain honest and open communication with your advisor.
  • Take responsibility for choices you make as a student and member of the UW-Milwaukee community.

Scheduling an Appointment

Office of Student Services
Enderis Hall, Room 209
(414) 229-4721

Graduate Advising

If you are a School of Education graduate student, you may schedule an appointment with your faculty advisor by contacting your faculty advisor directly. Faculty contact information can be found in the Directory. Your faculty advisor will be listed in your PAWS account.