Application deadlines vary by program, please review the application deadline chart for specific programs. Other important dates and deadlines can be found by using the One Stop calendars.
The minimum GPA for admission is 2.75 in a prior bachelor’s or post-baccalaureate degree (or cumulative credits after admission to a dual bachelor-masters degree program). Applicants should generally have a prior degree in science, engineering, computer science, economics, finance or any other area that requires academic preparation in math and programming. Applicants with other prior degrees will also be considered via holistic assessment of the academic record and professional experience, with a focus on substantial work experience in the quantitative analysis, programming, and adequate mathematics preparation for the required coursework.
Credits and Courses
The Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning Graduate Certificate requires a minimum of 15 credits, as described below. At least 12 credits must be taken at UWM.
|COMPSCI 557G||Introduction to Database Systems||3|
|or COMPSCI 715||Programming for Machine Learning|
|COMPSCI/ELECENG 711||Introduction to Machine Learning||3|
|or COMPSCI 411G||Machine Learning and Applications|
|Artificial Intelligence Planning Techniques|
|Natural Language Processing|
or COMPSCI 423G
|Introduction to Natural Language Processing|
|Text Retrieval and Its Applications in Biomedicine|
or COMPSCI 444G
|Introduction to Text Retrieval and Its Applications in Biomedicine|
|Intermediate Control Systems|
|Advanced Digital Signal Processing|
|Advanced Machine Learning|
|Optimal Control Theory|
|Introduction to Robotics|
|Operations Research in Engineering Management|
|Introduction to Data Mining|
|Random Signals and Systems|
|Introduction to Control Systems|
|Engineering Statistical Analysis|
|Topics in Industrial and Systems Engineering: (Introduction to Connected Systems)|
|Topics in Industrial and Systems Engineering: (Engineering Data Analytics)|
Students must enroll in 3 elective courses. At least 2 must be selected from the Applications Electives section, and at least 2 must be at the 700 level or above.
No more than 20% of the required credits may be taken at an institution other than UWM. These courses are subject to Graduate School transfer policy and must be approved by the director of the certificate program.
Grade Point Average Requirement
A minimum cumulative 3.00 grade point average in certificate courses taken at UWM is required.
Articulation with Degree Programs
- Credits and courses required for a certificate may double count toward meeting UWM graduate degree requirements subject to the following restrictions:
- Degree programs must approve the courses from certificates that can double count toward the degree.
- All credits taken in completion of certificate requirements may count towards a UWM graduate degree as long as they do not contribute more than 90% of the total credits needed to obtain the degree. (Note: Students in PhD programs must still complete the minimum residency requirements)
- Certificate courses used toward meeting degree requirements must be completed within the time limit for transfer credit.
- Courses completed for a degree may be counted toward a subsequent certificate, subject to all certificate policy requirements.
- A course may count toward no more than one certificate and one degree.
- Students may not earn a certificate subsequent to a concentration in the same area.
Certificate program time limits shall be established as follows:
- 18 or fewer credits/Three years from initial enrollment in the certificate sequence.
- 19 or more credits/Four years from initial enrollment in the certificate sequence.
For certificates that are designed as add-ons to degree programs and are awarded concurrent with the degree, the time limit shall be the same as that of the degree program.