In addition to the major and minor in Spanish, students can also complete a minor in Business Spanish, with a focus on the business and legal terminology and concepts that are relevant within the United States and the 21 countries in which Spanish is the official language. The minor in Business Spanish requires the completion of 18 credits, including two required courses in Business and Legal Spanish.


The minor in Business Spanish requires the completion of 18 credits as indicated below. At least 9 of the 300-level or above credits must be taken in residence at UWM. The College requires that students attain at least a 2.0 GPA on all credits in the minor attempted at UWM. In addition, students must attain a 2.0 GPA on all minor credits attempted, including any transfer work. Students are responsible for completing any prerequisite courses as well.

SPANISH 308Advanced Writing and Reading3
SPANISH 318Advanced Speaking and Listening3
or SPANISH 319 Advanced Speaking and Listening for Heritage Speakers
SPANISH 332Using Spanish in the Business World3
SPANISH 342Business and Legal Spanish3
Select from the following list of Business courses6-8
Business and Society
Introduction to Financial Accounting
Introduction to Information Technology Management
Introduction to Entrepreneurship and Small Business Formation
Principles of Marketing
Business Law I
Business Ethics, Social Responsibility and Sustainability
Total Credits18-20

Letters & Science Minor Advising

Advising for the minor takes place within the department by a faculty member or staff member. Follow the steps using the "Declare a Minor" button on the department’s website which may include instructions on how to select a faculty advisor if there is more than one to choose from.

Students who already have an L&S college advisor because their degree plan is in L&S can discuss the minor with them as well since they will be familiar with any minor in L&S. Students who are working on a degree from a UWM college other than the College of Letters & Science will not need an L&S college advisor for just a minor and one will not be assigned. These students should work with the faculty or staff advisor they receive as part of the minor declaration process or contact the department directly for assistance.

Applicants who have not started classes at UWM yet who wish to declare a minor should wait until they are registered for their first UWM classes and then can declare the minor using the “Declare a Minor” button on the program’s website. If you have questions about the minor before then, contact