UW-Milwaukee is the only other university in Wisconsin besides UW-Madison that offers Portuguese on a regular basis. We offer an undergraduate minor in Portuguese.

Students are strongly encouraged to utilize our Center for International Education to take advantage of study abroad experiences available in Brazil and Portugal for a semester or year.


The undergraduate minor in Portuguese requires 18 credits of Portuguese taken in courses numbered PORTUGS 203 or above. Nine credits must be taken at the 300 level or above in residence at UWM. The College requires that students attain at least a 2.0 GPA on all credits in the minor attempted at UWM. In addition, students must attain a 2.0 GPA on all minor credits attempted, including any transfer work.

Students with no previous Portuguese language experience should enroll in PORTUGS 103. After consultation with the Portuguese coordinator, a student may enroll in a course higher than PORTUGS 103, if appropriate. Students placed into a course beyond the PORTUGS 103 level who complete their first course with a grade of at least B may receive retroactive credits, to a maximum of 14 credits, for the courses leading to the one into which they are placed. Courses that generate Credits for Demonstrated Equivalent Preparation (retroactive credits) are the following:

Second-Semester Portuguese (4 retroactive credits)
Third-Semester Portuguese (8 retroactive credits)
Fourth-Semester Portuguese (11 retroactive credits)
Advanced Composition and Conversation (14 retroactive credits)

Letters & Science Minor Advising

Advising for the minor takes place within the department by a faculty member or staff member. Follow the steps using the "Declare a Minor" button on the department’s website which may include instructions on how to select a faculty advisor if there is more than one to choose from.

Students who already have an L&S college advisor because their degree plan is in L&S can discuss the minor with them as well since they will be familiar with any minor in L&S. Students who are working on a degree from a UWM college other than the College of Letters & Science will not need an L&S college advisor for just a minor and one will not be assigned. These students should work with the faculty or staff advisor they receive as part of the minor declaration process or contact the department directly for assistance.

Applicants who have not started classes at UWM yet who wish to declare a minor should wait until they are registered for their first UWM classes and then can declare the minor using the “Declare a Minor” button on the program’s website. If you have questions about the minor before then, contact let-sci@uwm.edu.