Audiologists help people of all ages with hearing and balance disorders. When a person has problems with hearing or balance it can have a significant impact on their quality of life. Audiologists do many things including:

  • Screening people to identify possible hearing disorders.
  • Completing comprehensive hearing testing to diagnose hearing loss. 
  • Selecting and custom-fitting hearing aids and assistive technology.
  • Advising people about how to treat and cope with ringing in their ears, also known as tinnitus.
  • Evaluating and treating dizziness and balance problems.
  • Helping people protect their hearing from the effects of loud noise.

Audiologists can work in many settings including doctor’s offices, hospitals, schools, rehabilitation centers, and private practices. 

A career in audiology requires a doctoral degree (AuD or Doctor of Audiology) from a program accredited by the Council on Academic Accreditation of the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association. 

In Wisconsin, an AuD consortial program is offered by UW-Madison and UW-Stevens Point.

Before applying to graduate school, most programs require students to have either a bachelor’s degree in Communication Sciences and Disorders OR to complete prerequisite coursework in Communication Sciences and Disorders before applying. See the requirements tab for details.

For additional information please contact:

Barbara Pauloski, Ph.D., CCC-SLP Associate Professor

Undergraduate Program Coordinator in Communication Sciences and Disorders


If you are interested in becoming an audiologist, it is strongly recommended that you complete a bachelor’s degree in Communication Sciences and Disorders

If you do not major in Communication Sciences and Disorders as an undergraduate, it is important to know what the requirements are for any graduate program you are considering. Many AuD programs accept students with degrees other than Communication Sciences and Disorders; however, it will usually require an additional year of graduate study to complete the program.

I’m a new student. How do I start?

You are assigned an academic advisor upon admission to UWM. New Student Orientation (NSO) helps those who are new to campus learn and understand the enrollment process and enroll in classes for their first semester at UWM! You should ask to have the designation “Pre-Audiology” added to your academic record.

Who is my advisor?

Undergraduate students who have declared an intent to pursue Pre-Audiology are advised by MacKenzie Kougl. Contact MacKenzie at 414-229-2758 or via e-mail at

When should I meet with my advisor?

Students are encouraged to meet with their advisor at least once per semester to ensure timely progress to graduation.

  • Enrolling for spring semester?
    Schedule an appointment with your advisor in October or November.
  • Enrolling for fall semester?
    Schedule an appointment with your advisor in March or April.

Students are also welcome to schedule an appointment with their advisor at any time to discuss academic challenges, career opportunities, or any other questions.

How can my advisor help me?

CHS boasts professional academic advisors who understand the challenges of balancing academics, work, family, and the social aspects of college life. Advisors partner with you to:

  • Explore your academic and career interests
  • Plan the sequence of your courses
  • Prepare for course enrollment
  • Access tutoring and other academic support
  • Identify opportunities for campus involvement
  • Connect you to campus resources
  • Plan for graduation