Psychology is a science that provides critical insights into human behavior. Psychologists investigate how behavior is modified in the face of psychiatric disorders or disease and how the brain gives rise to the rich tapestry of behaviors that govern our day-to-day experiences.

The minor in Psychology can be completed entirely on-line if that is desired.

Psychology students at UWM have a distinct advantage – they can participate in research as undergraduates, sometimes even as soon as freshman year. In psychology labs, students work directly with faculty and graduate students on their current research projects, and sometimes contribute as co-authors to peer-reviewed presentations or publications.

Declaring the Minor

To be accepted as a minor in psychology, students must have completed PSYCH 101.


The College of Letters and Science requires that students attain at least a 2.0 GPA on all credits in the minor attempted at UWM. In addition, students must attain a 2.0 GPA on all minor credits attempted, including any transfer work.

The undergraduate minor consists of 18 credits in psychology, at least 9 of them at the advanced level (300 or above) taken in residence at UWM, including the following core courses:

PSYCH 101Introduction to Psychology3
Select one of the following:3
Psychological Statistics
Current Topics in Psychology:
Introduction to Conditioning and Learning
Social Psychology: Psychological Perspectives
Introduction to Neuroscience
Child Psychology
Select any four additional psychology courses, at least three of which must be at the 300 level or above12
Total Credits18

Please note: If you are considering a potential major in Psychology, it is recommended highly that you take PSYCH 210 and PSYCH 325 as these are required for the major.

Letters & Science Minor Advising

Advising for the minor takes place within the department by a faculty member or staff member. Follow the steps using the "Declare a Minor" button on the department’s website which may include instructions on how to select a faculty advisor if there is more than one to choose from.

Students who already have an L&S college advisor because their degree plan is in L&S can discuss the minor with them as well since they will be familiar with any minor in L&S. Students who are working on a degree from a UWM college other than the College of Letters & Science will not need an L&S college advisor for just a minor and one will not be assigned. These students should work with the faculty or staff advisor they receive as part of the minor declaration process or contact the department directly for assistance.

Applicants who have not started classes at UWM yet who wish to declare a minor should wait until they are registered for their first UWM classes and then can declare the minor using the “Declare a Minor” button on the program’s website. If you have questions about the minor before then, contact