Physics is the study of matter and energy and their interactions, both in nature and under man-made conditions. Physics provides both the fundamental foundation for science and technology, and the framework for understanding the world around us and the universe itself.

A minor in physics provides an opportunity for students to complements their major course of study. The choice of advanced courses allows a student to gain a deeper understanding in specific areas of physics.


A minor in physics requires 18 credits of Physics courses, of which 9 credits must be in courses at the 300 level or above taken in residence at UWM. The College of Letters & Science requires that students attain at least a 2.0 GPA on all credits in the minor attempted at UWM. In addition, students must attain a 2.0 GPA on all minor credits attempted, including any transfer work. There is latitude in the choice of credits.

Students are required to consult with the undergraduate physics advisor when planning their minor programs of study.

Letters & Science Minor Advising

Advising for the minor takes place within the department by a faculty member or staff member. Follow the steps using the "Declare a Minor" button on the department’s website which may include instructions on how to select a faculty advisor if there is more than one to choose from.

Students who already have an L&S college advisor because their degree plan is in L&S can discuss the minor with them as well since they will be familiar with any minor in L&S. Students who are working on a degree from a UWM college other than the College of Letters & Science will not need an L&S college advisor for just a minor and one will not be assigned. These students should work with the faculty or staff advisor they receive as part of the minor declaration process or contact the department directly for assistance.

Applicants who have not started classes at UWM yet who wish to declare a minor should wait until they are registered for their first UWM classes and then can declare the minor using the “Declare a Minor” button on the program’s website. If you have questions about the minor before then, contact