Communication is a broad field, covering all of the different ways humans can exchange information - orally, through written word, and through nonverbal and visual cues. The study of communication involves the analysis of the communication patterns, settings, and tools that people use. Regardless of industry, in survey after survey, almost every employer ranks communication skills as one of their top three criteria when hiring.

Communication students at UWM not only graduate with top-notch communication skills, but they also have a thorough understanding of communication as a process and as a system. They are the individuals who can work with all types of people, bringing out their best. Sales, marketing, media, public relations, human resources, mediation, law, journalism, merchandising, advertising, education, public office, and social welfare are just a few of the most popular post-college careers. At UWM, students can focus their Communication electives around four tracks: interpersonal communication; rhetoric and public communication; intercultural communication; or technology and communication.

The Communication minor can be completed entirely online if desired. Or, students can mix-and-match online and in-person classes in whatever combination they wish.


The College of Letters & Science requires that students attain at least a 2.0 GPA on all credits in the minor attempted at UWM, and at least a 2.0 GPA on all minor credits attempted when any transfer work is included along with the UWM work. A minor in communication consists of at least 18 credits in communication courses, as distributed below:

COMMUN 101Introduction to Interpersonal Communication3
COMMUN 103Public Speaking3
COMMUN 105Business and Professional Communication3
Select 9 credits numbered 300 or above (must be taken in residence at UWM)9
Total Credits18

Specialized Courses: Variable Content and Independent Study

In addition to offering standard coursework, the Department of Communication offers undergraduates opportunities for specialized study.

Variable Content Courses

The content of the following varies each semester. Specific topics are announced in the Schedule of Classes:

COMMUN 192First-Year Seminar:3
COMMUN 631Current Topics in Interpersonal Communication/Conflict Management:3
COMMUN 641Current Topics in Organizational/Professional Communication:3
COMMUN 651Current Topics in Rhetorical/Public Communication:3
COMMUN 660Communication Capstone Seminar:3
COMMUN 662Seminar in Communication:3

Independent Study Courses

These courses offer students the opportunity to work and study on a one-on-one basis with a faculty member. Students interested in taking any of the following should contact an individual faculty member to determine the faculty member's willingness to sponsor the enrollment:

COMMUN 199Independent Study1-3
COMMUN 288Research Practicum1-3
COMMUN 588Research Practicum1-3
COMMUN 597Practicum in Teaching Communication1-3
COMMUN 699Advanced Independent Reading1-3

Cross-listed Courses

The following courses offered by other academic units may be used to fulfill the requirements of the undergraduate major and minor in communication:

ENGLISH 209Language in the United States3
ENGLISH 430Advanced Writing Workshop3
PEACEST 203Introduction to Peace and Conflict Studies3

Related Courses

The following courses offered by the Department of English may be of interest to students in communication but may not be used to fulfill requirements of the major and minor:

ENGLISH 205Business Writing3
ENGLISH 206Technical Writing3
ENGLISH 435Rhetoric and Professional Writing3
ENGLISH 436Technical Documentation3