Biology is the study of life. Biologists analyze organism functions at the cellular and molecular levels using genetics, biochemistry, and microscopy. They also study interactions between organisms and with the environment by examining behavior, morphology, physiology and genetics. Students can take a broad curriculum within Biological Sciences or focus on specific areas, such as ecology, evolution and behavior, cell and molecular biology, or microbiology.

Studies in Biological Sciences have applications across many areas including agriculture, medicine, and the environment. Biological Sciences is a popular choice for students preparing for careers in healthcare, agriculture, natural resources and environmental sciences, food management, bioremediation, as well as the biomedical and biotechnology fields. A minor in Biological Sciences also prepares students for professional careers in medicine, dentistry, pharmacy, veterinary science, and education, and graduate studies in the life sciences.


At least 9 credits must be taken at or above the 300 level in residence at UWM. Students must maintain a GPA of 2.0 in minor courses attempted at UWM. In addition, students must attain a GPA of 2.0 in all minor courses attempted, including any transfer work. The minor consists of 19 credits in Biological Sciences including the following:

Core Introductory Sequence
Foundations of Biological Sciences I
and Foundations of Biological Sciences II
Select at least one of the following:4-6
General Ecology
Cell Biology
and Laboratory in Genetics and Cell Biology
and Laboratory in Genetics and Cell Biology
General Microbiology
Additional Requirements
Select at least 7 additional credits in courses that carry credit toward the major7
Total Credits19-21

Letters & Science Minor Advising

Advising for the minor takes place within the department by a faculty member or staff member. Follow the steps using the "Declare a Minor" button on the department’s website which may include instructions on how to select a faculty advisor if there is more than one to choose from.

Students who already have an L&S college advisor because their degree plan is in L&S can discuss the minor with them as well since they will be familiar with any minor in L&S. Students who are working on a degree from a UWM college other than the College of Letters & Science will not need an L&S college advisor for just a minor and one will not be assigned. These students should work with the faculty or staff advisor they receive as part of the minor declaration process or contact the department directly for assistance.

Applicants who have not started classes at UWM yet who wish to declare a minor should wait until they are registered for their first UWM classes and then can declare the minor using the “Declare a Minor” button on the program’s website. If you have questions about the minor before then, contact